Seven key questions to ask your employees regularly - Blog

Seven key questions to ask your employees regularly

Seven key questions to ask your employees regularly

Communication is key. Your business relies on the good work of your employees to achieve your goals. Studies show that employee discontent is a major cause of under-performance. As an employer or manager, it is crucial to understand your employees’ workplace experiences.


Fostering an environment of commitment, engagement and motivation among your employees is a sure-fire way to get the most out of your employees. It is vital to engage with your workforce regularly, to see what’s working, what’s not, and how you can produce the best possible working environment. Asking your employees these seven questions will help you stay engaged with your workforce.


1. “How are you?”


Life is bigger than the office – very often we might not pick up on big events in an employee’s personal life that might have knock-on effects in their working life. Sensitivity to your employee’s struggles will help you anticipate potential issues, and a sympathetic approach can boost loyalty and motivation.


2. “What is one thing that are you struggling with?”


Even the most productive, engaged employee will have something about their work that jars them– from tension with another colleague, to an element in their workflow that frustrates them. Being willing to hear the bad is just as important as knowing the good – improvement comes on the back of confronting the bad.


3. “What has motivated you recently?”


We’re told that success is 90% perspiration – but it’s the other 10%, the inspiration, that makes the hard work worth the effort. Knowing what keeps your employees engaged with their work, and happy in their efforts can guide you in keeping morale, and productivity high.


4. “Do you have what you need to do your best?”


Do your people have the information, skills, tools and guidance to do what must be done? Keeping communication channels open to workplace short-falls will lessen stress and sub-par work.


5. “What are your goals for the week?”


Having weekly goals is a great way to expand your employees’ focus from the day-to-day towards the bigger picture, and a great way for you to see how you can help guide their efforts – if a goal remains unaccomplished over the course of a few weeks, you’ll get a sense of where energies could be better channelled.


6. “What could we do better?”


As a leader, your focus is on the broader picture, while your employees’ expertise lies in the more immediate tasks. Consulting them about what they think could be done to improve operations is a great way to get new ideas for the business, and boost your output.


7. “What’s the best thing you do?”


Loving the work that you do is the best way to ensure productivity. An employee who struggles to talk about an area of work that they enjoy might require attention – can you do something to get them engaged in their work? Conversely, it might pay to try direct an employee towards tasks that they are particularly passionate about to get the most out of their strengths. The best thing that they do may be that which they do best.